Magicplot 2.8.2 as default program

Lautibah

Magicplot 2.8.2 as default program

Post by Lautibah » January 5th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Hello. I've posted it on the old forum (I didn't check there was a new one).
I use magicplot either on my home or the work and I've seen the following problems on both computers:
1) There is no way to switch the default program for .mppz file to 2.8.2. On default programs list "mppz_auto_file" for 2.8.2 is a "blank" file, so every time I try to run a program it asks me for an exe.
Sorry about my english, find attached what I see on "default programs list"
MP2.8.2asdefaultprogram.png
MP2.8.2asdefaultprogram.png (1.47 KiB) Viewed 41 times
. I think Windows doesn't recognize 2.8.2 as a program and it cannot be set up as a default program.

2) The registry of keys won't work. In my home it stayed registered, but on my work it didn't. So every time I run magicplot I am asked to enter a key (even if I do and I get the "investigate with pleasure" message).

I've been changing the "regedit" and I think I've fucked it on my work. Now I can't set a default program for older versions neither getting a key registered :|

MagicPlot
Site Admin

Re: Magicplot 2.8.2 as default program

Post by MagicPlot » January 5th, 2019, 3:56 pm

Hello Lautibah, welcome back to the new forum!

1. Windows uses associations based solely on the executable name of the program. Whenever you associate a program with an extension, the program will be present on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications list, where the key names are the base names of the executables (e.g., MagicPlotPro.exe). You can’t associate another program with a file extension if it has the same executable name. The solution: just delete the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\MagicPlotPro.exe key and try again.

We plan to make an installer in the next release (finally!) and this problem will gone.

2. MagicPlot also stores the license info in its preferences file, magicplot.ini, which is located in user's home dir or Common user dir (if you run it with administrative rights). I suppose MagicPlot is blocked by some antivirus software so it cannot store its preferences file.

Lautibah

Post by Lautibah » January 7th, 2019, 9:35 am

Thanks!

I could set the licence now but not the default program. Atleast I am able to use the program :lol:

Btw happy new year
Last edited by Lautibah on January 10th, 2019, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lautibah

Post by Lautibah » January 8th, 2019, 9:48 am

Ok, after doing what you said and restarting the PC, both problems are fixed.

Thanks!