Historical feature requests thread from the old forum

MagicPlot
Site Admin

Historical feature requests thread from the old forum

Post by MagicPlot » December 28th, 2018, 10:27 am

This is the feature requests thread from the old forum, saved here for historical reasons.

Posted by: MagicPlot, August 24, 2010, 8:59am

Cannot find some feature useful for you in MagicPlot? Please write about it here.

Posted by: mikethebike3, August 26, 2010, 9:58pm; Reply: 1

MagicPlot is a great piece of software, but I don't see the ability to import tables with specific TIME data.
This would be great for displaying time logged data like weather or temperature or a million other parameters.
Any plans for this?
Thanks
Mike

Posted by: MagicPlot, August 27, 2010, 2:59am; Reply: 2

mikethebike3,

Thanks for the question!
Yes, we plan the support of time data and some other specific data and also text columns. We also want to make clear understanding the data type of column (in some other programs you may enter "1,23" and the application will treat this as string, not a number, and you may be very confused).

Posted by: mikethebike3, August 28, 2010, 8:21pm; Reply: 3

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm looking forward to when support for time data becomes available.  Can I be pushy and ask how long this is likely to take?
Thanks again
Mike

Posted by: MagicPlot, August 30, 2010, 2:55pm; Reply: 4

The next major version is planned to be released approximately in half a year.

Posted by: ArtemCh, November 25, 2010, 6:07am; Reply: 5

Hello! Do you planning to provide a 3d-data support in future versions? I mean for example color map plot (z-values represented by color). Thank you very much!

Posted by: MagicPlot, November 25, 2010, 11:09am; Reply: 6

Hello, ArtemCh!
Thank you for the question!
Yes, some 3D graphs are planned in the future. Color map is one of the simplest (this graph is actually 2D) so it will be added among the first, but not very soon :) In fact we are now working on some enhancements of present functionality (and usabitily) before implementing new major features.

Posted by: mikethebike3, May 4, 2011, 1:45pm; Reply: 7

Dear Alexander
Hello again after 9 months - it's good to see MagicPlot is still going strong!
Can I ask the same question about importing time data for plotting on the X-axis, e.g. "16:15:00".  Unfortunately, without this I can't use your otherwise excellent product.  Has there been any progress on this, or is it perhaps imminent?
Thanks once again for your help!
Mike

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 4, 2011, 2:02pm; Reply: 8

Hello mikethebike3,
For now I can only say that the the support of some non-numeric data in tables will be added in the next version (current stable is 1.4.1, 1.5 is in beta now, so it will be in 1.6). The common text/string column format will be added first, and I suppose it will be done this summer. Most likely the time/data format will be added simultaneously to reduce multiple code reorganizations, but I don't promise :)

Posted by: Dmitry Garanin, May 7, 2011, 11:18pm; Reply: 9

I am using MagicPlot for several days and I am very impressed. It is indeed a magic to have such a comprehensive program as a 2.5 MB file that does not require installation! I would suggest to consider the following issues.

1) Provide a more comprehensive configuration, including the canvas size and the sub/superscript size, and probably other things.

I personally need the canvas size of A4 to print EPS with a postscript printer in an A4-sized file, so that the figure takes the whole space without empty white space around it. (I use Windows 7 and there is "Metafile to EPS converter" that prints to EPS without margins). Of course, I can use picture templates with my preferred canvas size but it would be even better to be able to save it as a configuration default.

The standard size of sub- and superscripts is very small, probably about 30% of the standard size. This is inconvenient for publication-grade plots because of the readability problem on paper. In Origin I configured it so that the sub/superscript size is 60% or so of the standard. It would be great to have it here, too.

2) Drawings can be moved to the back and to the front. Unfortunately, they cannot be moved behind the curves. If I need a curve to go over a colored rectangle, indicating some range, this causes a problem because the colored rectangle obliterates the curve. Using opacity, one can partially solve this problem, although I do not like that the color of my curves is changed by this. BTW, Metafile to EPS converter renders such pictures OK but the native EPS exporter does not support opacity.

I attach my plot illustrating these two issues.

I will probably suggest more after more work with MagicPlot.

Dmitry

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 8, 2011, 12:12am; Reply: 10

Hello, Dmitry!
Thank you for your opinion!
Quoted Text
It is indeed a magic to have such a comprehensive program as a 2.5 MB file that does not require installation!
In fact the core MagicPlot is about ~1 MB and other ~1.5 MB is image export library :) (FreeHEP Graphics).
I will take into account your requests. The majority of them are already listed in plan on the future and I will increase the priority of some of that.

It seems to me that I fixed the file attachment. The file attached to this message (if it appears) is for test purposes only. Sorry for these forum troubles.

Posted by: Dmitry Garanin, May 8, 2011, 12:45am; Reply: 11

Thank you, Alexander!

I attach my figure to illustrate my points for all. This time I attach a PNG, while the first time I was attaching the project file. This probably was the mistake.

Dmitry

Posted by: Dmitry Garanin, May 8, 2011, 2:07am; Reply: 12

More suggestions:

3) MagicPlot does not accept pasting or inserting graphics (a strength of PowerPoint!) Is it difficult to implement? Sometimes it is good to have a molecular structure on the plot, or a more sophysticated arrow.

4) Typing mathematical formulas on plots would be great. Is it possible to use some external program for this? In PowerPoint I use Microsoft Equation to type formulas. Probably a similar thing exists in Open Office. I think as Open Office is also Java based (?), it could be possible to port it to MagicPlot.

Dmitry

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 8, 2011, 8:22am; Reply: 13

Thank you once again for your suggestions!

Inserting of images is planned, yes. Probably it will be only for raster images first.

External formula editor is more difficult. I suppose the best editor for scientists is TeX which also is supported in many applications. I don't know about the internal design of editor OpenOffice.org formula editor, but I think that the major parts are wrote in C/C++. I know a nice open-source program MjoGraph which is Java-based and supports TeX formulas some way.

P.S. All fil types must be supported in this forum, but the settings of attaching the files were broken here till my previous post with attachment :) This attachment is also for test, nothing interesting.

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 8, 2011, 9:05am; Reply: 14

I have a question about the data processing in MagicPlot Pro: The upcoming release will add some new possibilities (table sorting, transposing, statistics calculation, histograms; most of the other changes are interface-related). Which other data processing may be usable for you? And have you tried nonlinear fitting capabilities of MagicPlot?

Posted by: Dmitry Garanin, May 8, 2011, 10:43pm; Reply: 15

We do not use much formulas on plots for publications. I personally sometimes need decorations such as tilde or overbar, as well as fractions. It seems LaTeX for this purpose would be too heavy. LaTeX has to be installed on your system. Some people are not using LaTeX at all, they write papers with MSWord. The best thing would be to have something like Microsoft Equation Editor from MS Office. In fact, I think, this is not such an important thing to spend much efforts. Tildes and fractions can be obtained by combining different text elements.

I am using MjoGraph on Mac Pro to monitor results of computations. I've just checked, it indeed tries to LaTeX what is typed as $...$  but LaTeX is not installed on this Mac.

LaTeX is installed on my Windows laptop. I have now downloaded MjoGraph and tried. It does not find LaTeX on my system and it is not documented how to set the path to LaTeX.

Dmitry

Posted by: Dmitry Garanin, May 9, 2011, 12:28am; Reply: 16

I haven't tested fitting yet, it will require some time.

Concerning operations on columns, I would like to have convolution with a given function. Usually these are bell-shape functions mimicking instrumental resulution and/or spread because of the dirt in the system.

Dmitry

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 10, 2011, 9:45am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Dmitry Garanin
It seems LaTeX for this purpose would be too heavy.
Thanks for your opinion!

Posted by: Dmitry Garanin, May 18, 2011, 1:43am; Reply: 18

I am currently preparing an article which will be using plots made by MagicPlot. As usual, there are many similar plots and I amextensively using templates. Currently MagicPlot supports templates but this functionality is insufficient because too little is saved in the templates. After I open a template, there is still a considerable work to make a template to a plot.

I would suggest to use Origin's proven approach to templates: Graph templates and data-table templates that contain everything except of data. In particular, graph templates should contain actual axes labels and everything that is written on the graph. Data-table templates should contain all column calculation formulas.

I think it is not necessary to ask the user what components of the template have to be saved or imported. It is better to have everything, later some parts can be edited.

Correction to my previous post: Metafile to EPS Converter (that prints without margins!) is not a part of Windows 7. It comes with Lyx and is also available as a standalone application.

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 19, 2011, 11:04am; Reply: 19
Currently MagicPlot supports templates but this functionality is insufficient because too little is saved in the templates.
A good news is that in upcoming MagicPlot 1.5 more is saved to the Template. All you suggested except the additional drawings/labels are saved. Maybe I have time to add saving of drawings/labels in this version too. The new screenshot is in attachment.
I also sometimes thinking about 'Apply Template...' menu item in Project Tree but it's not yet done.
I think it is not necessary to ask the user what components of the template have to be saved or imported. It is better to have everything, later some parts can be edited.
The all supported properties are saved always when you save template. And you can select what to recall when you apply template.

There is the second way to clone your styles: you can select multiple objects (Tables, Fit Plots, Figures) and select 'Create a Copy' item in context menu. Then only paste new data in the source table.

P.S. Batch processing (without scripting!) coming in summer I suppose.

Posted by: Dmitry Garanin, May 21, 2011, 4:14am; Reply: 20

I would appreciate adding "Import data into existing table". For instance, you already have a project with data tables and plots and you only need to replace data with more accurate ones. At the moment I do not see how to do it easily.

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 21, 2011, 2:36pm; Reply: 21
I would appreciate adding "Import data into existing table".
Yes, I agree. Now it can be done with pasting into table only.

Posted by: Dmitry Garanin, May 22, 2011, 9:31pm; Reply: 22

Yes, pasting of new data from WordPad to Magicplot's data table works well, thank you!

But I would consider adding a "reload" button for data tables, with optional recalculating of calculated columns and maybe even optional automatic importing of new data from the file. The latter would be very cool and allowed to monitor the results of running calculations.

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 22, 2011, 9:38pm; Reply: 23
But I would consider adding a "reload" button for data tables, with optional recalculating of calculated columns and maybe even optional automatic importing of new data from the file. The latter would be very cool and allowed to monitor the results of running calculations.
And automatic tables reloading with some period is also already planned, yes :)

Posted by: ccharbo (Guest) (Guest), December 2, 2011, 2:08pm; Reply: 24

Hi,

Thanks for the good work! MagicPlot is a great piece of software.
The only feature missing for me is the ability to display the *data* content on the X Axis when <Index> is used (as it is currently showing only the index-count).

For instance, when I have samples taken in a regular time basis and the date is used on my first column, it would be great to have the date/time displayed on the X Axis.

In fact, having MagicPlot to fully "understand" the date/time would be even greater as it would be possible to have a true X-Y chart.

BR
Christophe

Posted by: MagicPlot, December 2, 2011, 2:34pm; Reply: 25

Hi, Christophe,
Thank you for the message!

I think after Bath Processing (which is already implemented) the working with data is one of the most needed features for the users. We will work on this.

Posted by: mamamia, January 16, 2012, 3:33am; Reply: 26

when are you going to update to new features? Image

Posted by: MagicPlot, January 16, 2012, 10:03am; Reply: 27

Hello mamamia,

Are you talking about something specific?
The next release is planned on this spring. Now I cannot say exactly which new features will be done for that time.

Posted by: flogger123, January 30, 2012, 8:00pm; Reply: 28

Great! Will registered users be notified? Thanks.

Posted by: MagicPlot, January 30, 2012, 8:12pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from flogger123
Will registered users be notified?
Yes, I can send e-mails to all forum members.

Posted by: amjad, February 12, 2012, 7:08pm; Reply: 30

Well this would be really nice if you could please inform all the forum users about new release and its features. Thanks :)

Posted by: MagicPlot, March 30, 2012, 10:23pm; Reply: 31
2) Drawings can be moved to the back and to the front. Unfortunately, they cannot be moved behind the curves.

Good news! This limitation will be fixed in coming release (this spring). One year needed to return to this...

Posted by: erich.bain, June 19, 2012, 8:29pm; Reply: 32

Hello,

First, thank you for designing such a useful and user-friendly piece of software!  I'm strongly considering switching to MagicPlot pro as an alternative to Origin, especially since my main computer is a Mac.  My question is whether MagicPlot could be made available in the Mac App Store?  Apple is now offering a $100 gift card for use in their app store with purchase of a new computer for education customers.  I would like to use it to purchase a license for MagicPlot pro, but the gift card is only eligible through the app store.  Any possibility MagicPlot will be available there in the near future?

Regards,
Erich Bain

Posted by: MagicPlot, June 19, 2012, 10:49pm; Reply: 33

Hello Erich,

Unfortunately, Java is treated by Apple as a non-standard API :( Mac App Store Review Guidelines include this:
Quoted Text
2.24 Apps that use deprecated or optionally installed technologies (e.g., Java, Rosetta) will be rejected
Proof link: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/appl ... photoshop/

So if nothing changes, MagicPlot cannot be added to AppStore. It is bad for us too but it is a payment for platform independence of our application. The only good news here is that Java for Mac itself will be updated and supported, so Java will be available on new versions of Mac OS.

Alexander.

Posted by: erich.bain, June 19, 2012, 11:47pm; Reply: 34

Thank you.  Given that Apple considers Java to be deprecated, are there plans to port MagicPlot to another API in the future?

Posted by: MagicPlot, June 20, 2012, 12:04am; Reply: 35

No, we don't plan to rewrite MagicPlot in C... :)

But I've googled the problem once again: It seems that it if we bundle Java machine into MagicPlot distributable, it can be accepted for App Store because it does not use system Java (but the file size will be ~50...100 MBytes). I need investigate this question in more details. Summarizing, it's possible, that MagicPlot appear in App Store, but not soon and not 100% - I can't promise now.

Update. It seems to me that only new OpenJDK Java 7 can be bundled with application because of license restrictions of Apple Java which is now used (comes with Mac). But OpenJDK 7 for Mac is not stable now as I understand.

Alexander.

Posted by: erich.bain, June 20, 2012, 12:35am; Reply: 36

Thanks for the quick responses.  From my own googling, I've been convinced that Java for Mac is in no danger of going away, rather it is just transitioning from being managed/updated by Apple to Oracle themselves.  Good
luck with the future developments.  An app store version of MagicPlot would be nice, but I can also see why you wouldn't want to supersize the file.

Posted by: MagicPlot, June 20, 2012, 12:47am; Reply: 37

Yes, 100 MB is not so much now when we have terabyte hard drives, but it's not cool :) And I don't like to download 1,5 GB to install some application. It's reality of our life, but it is not about I dream :)

Posted by: mvf, December 10, 2012, 3:30pm; Reply: 38

Axis Title Alignment:

Would it be possible to set the axis title position/alignment on the Axis Style tab? I would like to position the axis title right aligned with a horizontal axis and top aligned with a vertical axis rather than the default centre aligned. Although the axis title can be positioned manually it would be convenient to set it as part of the axis style.
Cheers,
MVF

Posted by: MagicPlot, December 10, 2012, 3:42pm; Reply: 39

Hello MVF,

This feature is not planned so far but I included it in our list.

You can manually drag the title itself using mouse, set the text alignement to 'right' (so right margin of text will not move if the length of text changes). You can save a Figure Template with that style (if you are using Pro edition).

Posted by: arioch, April 19, 2013, 5:00pm; Reply: 40

Would it be possible to include MagicPlot in the Ubuntu Software Center?
Thanks!

Posted by: MagicPlot, April 23, 2013, 10:50pm; Reply: 41

Thanks for that suggestion! I suppose that can be done (instead of Apple AppStore which does not support Java apps  :( ). From the next version, I think.

Posted by: arioch, July 12, 2013, 11:58pm; Reply: 42

Hi,

I love MagicPlot and I have been using it extensively over the past month.
There are two features that I miss sorely when compared to other software packages that I've used:

1- Link different Y-axis to the same X-axis. This is extremely convenient when you have different parameters in the same time series, so they all share a common x scale, even if the sampling interval is different. My work around is to put all X axis now on the same scale and then make them invisible, but this can be cumbersome when you have 10 Y-axis in the same plot.

2- Fill color between 2 curves. If I have a time series with error bars, sometimes I like to shade the area between max and min values with a color and some transparency. Very useful to create visual plots. In python matplotlib, this can be done using plt.fill_between(m, n, p, facecolor='grey', edgecolor='None', alpha=0.3).

There are a few other minor things, but these two would be fantastic if they could get implemented!

Posted by: MagicPlot, July 13, 2013, 1:09am; Reply: 43

Thanks for feature request!

You can also write here about minor suggestions too :)

Posted by: arioch, July 20, 2013, 12:47am; Reply: 44
Quoted from MagicPlot
Thanks for feature request!

You can also write here about minor suggestions too :)

OK then  ;).
- How about for an option to 'no-cap' in error bars? Right now minimum cap size is 1, but sometimes it is useful to just have the vertical bar.
- Also ellipsoids as markers, with the shape of the ellipsoid directly controlled by x and y errors.
- Step-like line plotting.
- Unclip plot from axis (e.g. let data go beyond axis extension without cutting it).

I could go on ...but then you would have to hire me as a consultant  ;)

Posted by: MagicPlot, July 20, 2013, 2:03pm; Reply: 45

Thanks once again :)

Posted by: GuzWaatensen, January 16, 2015, 12:55pm; Reply: 46

I have been using Magic Plot for all my scientific plotting for 2 years now and i've got to say it's a solid piece of software, there are however four features that would greatly enhance my workflow:
  • [li] Drag and Drop reodering of the Folders and Tables in the sidebar.
    [/li][li] A way to create "favorite" custom equations. Some of the fitting equations i use are quite long and currently i have to use a shell script to paste them to clipboard so i have them available every time. It would be much easier if there was a way in the App to create and manage custom equations that goes beyond the "recently used" menu...
    [/li][li] It would also be great to have a way to save column equations for later use instead of heaving to rely on them not dropping out of the recently used list eventually...
    [/li][li] This may already be in but i haven't figured it out: It would be great if there was a way to address columns relative to the current column instead of absolutely. For example if i could say col(This-1) instead of col(A), that would greatly enhance formula reusability...
    [/li]
Posted by: MagicPlot, January 16, 2015, 1:50pm; Reply: 47

Hello GuzWaatensen,
thank you for a testimonial and feature requests. Your ideas are important.

And about the relative column numbers, it is already supported but not documented because we have a plans to probably change that syntax in next versions. In current version try 'col($-1)'. The '$' sign has 'This column number' meaning. Our next idea is that 'col(A)' is redundant, long notation, and we are thinking to add Excel-like syntax: '$A' instead of 'col(a)' but still not decided. BTW, what do you think about '$A' notation? The problem with relative column numbers raises here, it is a minus.

Posted by: GuzWaatensen, January 17, 2015, 1:52pm; Reply: 48

Hi,

i thought it might be in but i couldn't figure out the variable, never thought of $. Regarding the replacement of col(A) by $A, writing formulas is not something i do very often so saving time by writing less letters is not an issue for me. I think having syntax similar to excel might be confusing as the functionality is different. Also like you said, having parentheses around the column number allows for things like col(A-1) where as $A-1 would be something different. If you think about borrowing something from excel maybe adding syntax for defining areas and adding functions that accept areas would be nice, something like mean(A-D,i) which would calculate the mean over columns A to D for each row or std(A;C;F,i) which would calculate the standard deviation of columns A,C and F... This would allow you to include a lot of useful  row-wise statistical functions like sum, mean, std, median...

Currently i do all these through custom formulas, that will get a lot more practical now that i know how to address columns relative to each other, but having them built in might be even better...

best Regards

Posted by: arioch, March 30, 2017, 10:34am; Reply: 49

Hi,

congratulations on this product. I have been using it for some years now and I have convinced a group of work colleagues to give it a try and move away from other alternatives like Goldensoftware Grapher. The main limitations we have with magicplot is the fact that stacked x-y plots cannot share the same x axis while having independent y axis. I kinda got used to that, but for newcomers it is a big deal until they get their heads around that.

Would it be feasible to implement that feature? it really makes a big difference in terms of easiness of plotting stacked xy plots. If you change the x dimensions you won't have to rescale every single x axis as it would be shared accross the plotted datasets.

Thanks!

Posted by: MagicPlot, March 30, 2017, 10:17pm; Reply: 50

Hi Arioch,
thank you for good words and for using MagicPlot!

Yes, coupling of x/y axes is planned. I cannot wish it in the upcoming release this summer though.

Posted by: Lautibah, October 26, 2017, 5:33pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from GuzWaatensen

[*] Drag and Drop reodering of the Folders and Tables in the sidebar.
[/list]

I think this would be okay too, normaly my files get disordened.

By the way, is there any way to get the legend split in 2 columns?

Thanks for your rapid responses and this amazing platform. I am working as a student on a laboratory and my supervisors find magic plot useful, because its powerful at fitting magnetic behaviours

Posted by: MagicPlot, October 30, 2017, 11:53am; Reply: 52

Hello,

Reordering in project tree will be available in upcoming release. Multicolumn legend is planned, but not sure that it will be in this release. The workaround is using multiple axes boxes with the same position. Thank you for your kind words!

Posted by: Lautibah, October 30, 2017, 7:17pm; Reply: 53

Also, I have found that if you import files, magic plot will autoarrange them by alphabetic order, but somecases I choosed on pourpose the non alphabetic order. E.g: files called "1" "5" "10" "20" "50" "100" will be sorted automatically when imported as "1" "10" "100" "20" "5" "50".
I think this will be easier to solver if you just add the feature you said, beeing able to reorder the table.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Posted by: Lautibah, October 31, 2017, 3:41pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Lautibah
Also, I have found that if you import files, magic plot will autoarrange them by alphabetic order, but somecases I choosed on pourpose the non alphabetic order. E.g: files called "1" "5" "10" "20" "50" "100" will be sorted automatically when imported as "1" "10" "100" "20" "5" "50".
I think this will be easier to solver if you just add the feature you said, beeing able to reorder the table.

Thanks again for your efforts!

It seems like I cannot edit the message anymore. I was just going to add that it might be also interesting to be able to increase the maximun number of interactions up to 10000+++, sometimes I need 60000 to achieve the good fit. Taking into account the powerful computers we actually have, 10000 interactions is performed in a couple of seconds.

Thanks!

Posted by: MagicPlot, October 31, 2017, 11:37pm; Reply: 55

OK!

Posted by: Lautibah, April 27, 2018, 1:43pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Lautibah

It seems like I cannot edit the message anymore. I was just going to add that it might be also interesting to be able to increase the maximun number of interactions up to 10000+++, sometimes I need 60000 to achieve the good fit. Taking into account the powerful computers we actually have, 10000 interactions is performed in a couple of seconds.

Thanks!

Sorry, I am posting here just to tell the people that I found the way to set more interactions by hand:
In C:\Users\*whateveruser*\AppData\Roaming\MagicPlot\magicplot.ini, edit and add or change "fit_max_iter" to whatever you want.
I set it on fit_max_iter=1000000 and works preeeeeetty good

Posted by: MagicPlot, April 27, 2018, 10:10pm; Reply: 57

Lautibah, thank you for the information. We will expand possible max itertions value in preferences dialog.

Posted by: Lautibah, May 3, 2018, 2:06pm; Reply: 58

I know that I am beeing too demanding, you'll be tired of me soon (but you decide whether to ignore things or not)
1) We have found in other computer a way to avoid the 30 days trial without a key. I've tried so send a Private Message to you but it is not possible.
2) When you open too fast to .mppz files, they will add together and you'll get both files in one (they merge together).

Posted by: MagicPlot, May 8, 2018, 3:02pm; Reply: 59

Hello Lautibah,
Thank you for bug reports! The first issue in already fixed in upcoming release.

P.S. Sorry for the delay with answer. You can use contact form on our site to send a private message.

Posted by: Finsterdudel, May 12, 2018, 5:48pm; Reply: 60

Hi,

I have to fit often data with multiple sinusodials. Would it be possible to implement that one can set a limit for the fitting parameters? E.g. to restrict the phase to an area of -pi to +pi, to set that frequencies and amplitudes should be always positiv?

thanks

Posted by: Lautibah, July 12, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 61

I think it could be interesting to define the range for a variable in the fit plot. (I know some option is to set a fixed value, fit, unlock the variable and refit. Not always is that cool)

Thanks

Posted by: Finsterdudel, August 28, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 62

Hiho, another idea would be to implement the possibility to add new files in an existing already completed batch process. So e.g. if one fits some data during measurment to add new data without refitting everything or end up with several batch proceedings for subgroups of data.

Posted by: Lautibah, September 4, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 63

Hello!!

Thanks for the new update. I was anxious to being able to sort the folders!

Posted by: Lautibah, September 4, 2018, 8:47pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from MagicPlot

Yes, I can send e-mails to all forum members.

Btw. I received no e-mails

Posted by: MagicPlot, September 4, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 65

Yes, the forum lib is broken and it's not supported for a long time, so we need to move to another platform some time.

Posted by: Lautibah, September 12, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 66

When you add import multiple files to a folder, they will be sorted in alphanumeric order.
example:
Files (time): 10s, 20s, 30s, 60s, 120s, 1000s
will be imported: 10s, 120s, 1000s, 20s, 30s, 60s

Sadly, there was a trick which worked: you could import first all the files with 2 digits, after all files with 3 digits, after ... Then you could get the files in order.

Now this mechanism won't work. Atleast the new feature let you sort it by hand, but it feels tired when there are more than 100 files to sort  :P

Sorry if this "feature request" is too much.

Posted by: Lautibah, October 16, 2018, 12:19pm; Reply: 67

Hello Again.
With the new magicplot 2.8, it is not possible to copy only the fit plot curve from other file. Previously it was possible but now it copy also the table and figure from other files.

Just to let it know

Posted by: MagicPlot, October 17, 2018, 1:11am; Reply: 68

Hello Lautibah,

Thank you for mentioning, yes, the new version copies the the source curve parent Fit Plot even in case of pasting on Fit Plot (so that the only formula/curve type and parameters are needed). We'll fix it later.

Posted by: Lautibah, October 31, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 69

I am the only one demanding...
It would be really appreciated a feature regarding exporting reports from fit plot. What I am doing is, fit curves in magic plot > get equation > paste on mathematica > treat there > import results to magic plot.
The slooowest for me is this part "get equation > paste on mathematica". Because:
1) I have to fit every plot and after copy only the desired content to mathematica
2) equation is not written in mathematica format (e.g. "ln" in magic plot is "Log" in mathematica, exp is Exp, () is [], etc)

Posted by: jfdavies, December 20, 2018, 11:40pm; Reply: 70

As a scientist, I have used Magicplot for many years due to the ease of making high quality figures and performing simple to complex curve fitting.

One feature I would really like is simply to create a note in a folder that allows plain text entry. This simple feature would be immensely useful, and I very surprised it hasn't been mentioned (as far as i could tell) or implemented.

The new folder organization in 2.8 is great by the way. I just updated from 2.7 today and it will make organization much easier. With the notes feature, this would be the perfect data processing package for me.

Specific details:

In right click context menu in folder organizer, include "New Note" along with "New Table", "New Folder" and "New Figure". This would then create a blank text entry box in the workspace that initially should just be plain text. In future, implementing more formatting features or LaTeX integration for writing technical notes including equations would be fantastic!