Points and lines coming from different data

Lautibah

Points and lines coming from different data

Post by Lautibah »

Hello.
I know MagicPlot can plot datapoints and join them with straight lines, nevertheless I would like to plot a curve together with this data. I have once proposed this feature before (to join the fit sum curves with datapoints).
I am fitting my data in Mathematica and, then, I export the resulting curves as .txt files. When plotting everything in MagicPlot, the data points are comming from one table and the line fits are comming from other table. This causes having duplicated legends and, when changed the color of one of these the other is not affected (obviously).
This causes a second issue for me as well, which I don't know how to overcome: creating templates become difficult. I could do a template in which there are 10 sets of points and 10 sets of lines, but either adding a new set of points or removing it (and the fit line consequently) will cause a problem when applied.

I am so dissapointed I cannot further explain this with only words, my vocabulary is limited. Find attached a project in which you may understand what I am talking about.

Thank you
Attachments
Mathfits.zip
(407.11 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

MagicPlot
Site Admin

Re: Points and lines coming from different data

Post by MagicPlot »

Hello,

I can suggest using tho axis boxes with the same position and scale and put all data curves on the first axis box and all fit curves on the second one. I think it will fix the problems with styles but there comes the other issue: you need to control the scale to be always the same on both axis boxes (we plan to implement linking of scale but now it's not ready). I have changed the figure in your project to illustrate and saved a template from it, see attachment.

Btw, i have just fixed the forum settings so that .mppz and .mppt files can be now attached without zipping.
Attachments
Mathfits (two axes boxes).mppz
(655.58 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Two axis boxes template.mppt
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Lautibah

Post by Lautibah »

Okay, thank you.
I have understood what you have proposed and I think it can do the job. Previously I used to delete one of the datas from the legend, but struggled with the template when the amount of points was different.
I find an inconvenient for both methods: there is no way to have the line+dot style in the legend.

PS: Cool. That's safer, zips are potentially dangerous and I was surprised it was the only way for uploading magic plot files XD

PS2: I am, maybe, so demanding! Any ideas about the feature request I made time ago? The request was to be able to colorize the data from, for example, blue to red as gradient color (or black to light grey for articles). As you may have seen, I have many curves in just one plot. I think a gradient coloured plot helps people out into finding the tendency of the curves with temperature. It is actually working on the color map plots, so it might not be difficult to implement?

MagicPlot
Site Admin

Post by MagicPlot »

The only way to make the legend different to the real curve -- is creating a 'fake' curve without points (from an empty table) and setting the appropriate style to this curve and removing the main legend.

Yes, we plan to add 'Apply Palette' menu item to the color selection buttons in case multiple objects are selected. It is a very good suggestion, thank you!