Broken Best View feature

Lautibah

Broken Best View feature

Post by Lautibah » August 6th, 2019, 9:26 am

Hello.

For one of my figures the "best view" button is broken, it is just doing nothing.
It was not working for the fit plot neither for the normal plot. But I fixed without noticing the normal plot, so now it is only broken for the fit plot. I wanted you to have both broken for a better understanding of the bug.
Find attached below a file with a plot and fit plot. The way to fix this breakage was to click "fit by sum" in the fit plot and both normal plot and fit plot best view button started working as normal.

Hope you'll understand this explanation.

Greetings
Attachments
broken2.rar
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

MagicPlot
Site Admin

Re: Broken Best View feature

Post by MagicPlot » August 6th, 2019, 11:04 am

Hello,

Yes, we can partially confirm the issue. Your Y data is constant (all Y values are equal) so the program cannot estimate the Y range correctly. Of course, the X range must be changed independently and some reasonable Y range (like +/-10% must be set). We'll fix it, thank you for reporting.

Lautibah

Post by Lautibah » August 7th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Great!

And by the way, I could be a just random nonsense error. The file you'll find attached, if you try to use "fit one curve" feature it will say that it cannot fit a line in that area. Obviously if I change the range of the area it will fit the function but, any clues why does display that error even if the selected area is almost flat?
Attachments
WTF.rar
(515.99 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

MagicPlot
Site Admin

Post by MagicPlot » August 9th, 2019, 6:42 pm

I'm sorry for the delay. I cannot reproduce the error, "fit one curve" works with this data range, so it seems to be a specific error. We'll double-check all possibilities.

Lautibah

Post by Lautibah » August 10th, 2019, 9:42 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_pP-awacmk&feature=youtu.be

there you go

the range is almost flat (but not actually flat), so I am surprised that it failed the first time. In order to get a fit, I must have to change the range

MagicPlot
Site Admin

Post by MagicPlot » August 10th, 2019, 10:39 am

OK, I see. What is the minimum deviation of residual sum of squares setting in Preferences, Fitting tab (Ctrl+U opens preferences)? It seems that it is too small and floating point calculations are not precease enough in your case, so it cannot reach this unrealistic value. I have tested 10^-13, it works, and it is enough, I suppose.

Lautibah

Post by Lautibah » August 11th, 2019, 10:07 am

MagicPlot wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 10:39 am
OK, I see. What is the minimum deviation of residual sum of squares setting in Preferences, Fitting tab (Ctrl+U opens preferences)?
1*10^-14

yep, at -13 it does work. Decimal points, I have upto 10
So there is just matter of preferences, okay! Ty!