Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Feature Requests MagicPlot.com
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

Old MagicPlot Forum [read-only]    General Boards    General MagicPlot Discussion  ›  Feature Requests Moderators: Administrator Group

Feature Requests Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
MagicPlot
August 24, 2010, 4:59am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Cannot find some feature useful for you in MagicPlot? Please write about it here.
Logged Offline
Site
mikethebike3
August 26, 2010, 5:58pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
MagicPlot is a great piece of software, but I don't see the ability to import tables with specific TIME data.
This would be great for displaying time logged data like weather or temperature or a million other parameters.
Any plans for this?
Thanks
Mike
Logged Offline
Reply: 1 - 70
MagicPlot
August 26, 2010, 10:59pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
mikethebike3,

Thanks for the question!
Yes, we plan the support of time data and some other specific data and also text columns. We also want to make clear understanding the data type of column (in some other programs you may enter "1,23" and the application will treat this as string, not a number, and you may be very confused).
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 2 - 70
mikethebike3
August 28, 2010, 4:21pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm looking forward to when support for time data becomes available.  Can I be pushy and ask how long this is likely to take?
Thanks again
Mike
Logged Offline
Reply: 3 - 70
MagicPlot
August 30, 2010, 10:55am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
The next major version is planned to be released approximately in half a year.
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 4 - 70
ArtemCh
November 25, 2010, 2:07am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Hello! Do you planning to provide a 3d-data support in future versions? I mean for example color map plot (z-values represented by color). Thank you very much!
Logged Offline
Reply: 5 - 70
MagicPlot
November 25, 2010, 7:09am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Hello, ArtemCh!
Thank you for the question!
Yes, some 3D graphs are planned in the future. Color map is one of the simplest (this graph is actually 2D) so it will be added among the first, but not very soon In fact we are now working on some enhancements of present functionality (and usabitily) before implementing new major features.
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 6 - 70
mikethebike3
May 4, 2011, 9:45am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Dear Alexander
Hello again after 9 months - it's good to see MagicPlot is still going strong!
Can I ask the same question about importing time data for plotting on the X-axis, e.g. "16:15:00".  Unfortunately, without this I can't use your otherwise excellent product.  Has there been any progress on this, or is it perhaps imminent?
Thanks once again for your help!
Mike
Logged Offline
Reply: 7 - 70
MagicPlot
May 4, 2011, 10:02am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Hello mikethebike3,
For now I can only say that the the support of some non-numeric data in tables will be added in the next version (current stable is 1.4.1, 1.5 is in beta now, so it will be in 1.6). The common text/string column format will be added first, and I suppose it will be done this summer. Most likely the time/data format will be added simultaneously to reduce multiple code reorganizations, but I don't promise
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 8 - 70
Dmitry Garanin
May 7, 2011, 7:18pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
I am using MagicPlot for several days and I am very impressed. It is indeed a magic to have such a comprehensive program as a 2.5 MB file that does not require installation! I would suggest to consider the following issues.

1) Provide a more comprehensive configuration, including the canvas size and the sub/superscript size, and probably other things.

I personally need the canvas size of A4 to print EPS with a postscript printer in an A4-sized file, so that the figure takes the whole space without empty white space around it. (I use Windows 7 and there is "Metafile to EPS converter" that prints to EPS without margins). Of course, I can use picture templates with my preferred canvas size but it would be even better to be able to save it as a configuration default.

The standard size of sub- and superscripts is very small, probably about 30% of the standard size. This is inconvenient for publication-grade plots because of the readability problem on paper. In Origin I configured it so that the sub/superscript size is 60% or so of the standard. It would be great to have it here, too.

2) Drawings can be moved to the back and to the front. Unfortunately, they cannot be moved behind the curves. If I need a curve to go over a colored rectangle, indicating some range, this causes a problem because the colored rectangle obliterates the curve. Using opacity, one can partially solve this problem, although I do not like that the color of my curves is changed by this. BTW, Metafile to EPS converter renders such pictures OK but the native EPS exporter does not support opacity.

I attach my plot illustrating these two issues.

I will probably suggest more after more work with MagicPlot.

Dmitry
Logged Offline
Reply: 9 - 70
MagicPlot
May 7, 2011, 8:12pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Hello, Dmitry!
Thank you for your opinion!
Quoted Text
It is indeed a magic to have such a comprehensive program as a 2.5 MB file that does not require installation!

In fact the core MagicPlot is about ~1 MB and other ~1.5 MB is image export library (FreeHEP Graphics).
I will take into account your requests. The majority of them are already listed in plan on the future and I will increase the priority of some of that.

It seems to me that I fixed the file attachment. The file attached to this message (if it appears) is for test purposes only. Sorry for these forum troubles.

Attachment: gallery_figure_2758.png
Size: 376.04 KB

Logged Offline
Site Reply: 10 - 70
Dmitry Garanin
May 7, 2011, 8:45pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Thank you, Alexander!

I attach my figure to illustrate my points for all. This time I attach a PNG, while the first time I was attaching the project file. This probably was the mistake.

Dmitry

Attachment: 9336t_rtil3_ltil30_n100_4277.png
Size: 341.41 KB

Logged Offline
Reply: 11 - 70
Dmitry Garanin
May 7, 2011, 10:07pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
More suggestions:

3) MagicPlot does not accept pasting or inserting graphics (a strength of PowerPoint!) Is it difficult to implement? Sometimes it is good to have a molecular structure on the plot, or a more sophysticated arrow.

4) Typing mathematical formulas on plots would be great. Is it possible to use some external program for this? In PowerPoint I use Microsoft Equation to type formulas. Probably a similar thing exists in Open Office. I think as Open Office is also Java based (?), it could be possible to port it to MagicPlot.

Dmitry
Logged Offline
Reply: 12 - 70
MagicPlot
May 8, 2011, 4:22am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Thank you once again for your suggestions!

Inserting of images is planned, yes. Probably it will be only for raster images first.

External formula editor is more difficult. I suppose the best editor for scientists is TeX which also is supported in many applications. I don't know about the internal design of editor OpenOffice.org formula editor, but I think that the major parts are wrote in C/C++. I know a nice open-source program MjoGraph which is Java-based and supports TeX formulas some way.

P.S. All fil types must be supported in this forum, but the settings of attaching the files were broken here till my previous post with attachment This attachment is also for test, nothing interesting.

Attachment: gallery_4939.mppz
919 downloads   -   Size: 13.32 KB

Logged Offline
Site Reply: 13 - 70
MagicPlot
May 8, 2011, 5:05am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
I have a question about the data processing in MagicPlot Pro: The upcoming release will add some new possibilities (table sorting, transposing, statistics calculation, histograms; most of the other changes are interface-related). Which other data processing may be usable for you? And have you tried nonlinear fitting capabilities of MagicPlot?
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 14 - 70
Dmitry Garanin
May 8, 2011, 6:43pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
We do not use much formulas on plots for publications. I personally sometimes need decorations such as tilde or overbar, as well as fractions. It seems LaTeX for this purpose would be too heavy. LaTeX has to be installed on your system. Some people are not using LaTeX at all, they write papers with MSWord. The best thing would be to have something like Microsoft Equation Editor from MS Office. In fact, I think, this is not such an important thing to spend much efforts. Tildes and fractions can be obtained by combining different text elements.

I am using MjoGraph on Mac Pro to monitor results of computations. I've just checked, it indeed tries to LaTeX what is typed as $...$  but LaTeX is not installed on this Mac.

LaTeX is installed on my Windows laptop. I have now downloaded MjoGraph and tried. It does not find LaTeX on my system and it is not documented how to set the path to LaTeX.

Dmitry
Logged Offline
Reply: 15 - 70
Dmitry Garanin
May 8, 2011, 8:28pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
I haven't tested fitting yet, it will require some time.

Concerning operations on columns, I would like to have convolution with a given function. Usually these are bell-shape functions mimicking instrumental resulution and/or spread because of the dirt in the system.

Dmitry
Logged Offline
Reply: 16 - 70
MagicPlot
May 10, 2011, 5:45am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Quoted from Dmitry Garanin
It seems LaTeX for this purpose would be too heavy.

Thanks for your opinion!
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 17 - 70
Dmitry Garanin
May 17, 2011, 9:43pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
I am currently preparing an article which will be using plots made by MagicPlot. As usual, there are many similar plots and I amextensively using templates. Currently MagicPlot supports templates but this functionality is insufficient because too little is saved in the templates. After I open a template, there is still a considerable work to make a template to a plot.

I would suggest to use Origin's proven approach to templates: Graph templates and data-table templates that contain everything except of data. In particular, graph templates should contain actual axes labels and everything that is written on the graph. Data-table templates should contain all column calculation formulas.

I think it is not necessary to ask the user what components of the template have to be saved or imported. It is better to have everything, later some parts can be edited.

Correction to my previous post: Metafile to EPS Converter (that prints without margins!) is not a part of Windows 7. It comes with Lyx and is also available as a standalone application.
Logged Offline
Reply: 18 - 70
MagicPlot
May 19, 2011, 7:04am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Currently MagicPlot supports templates but this functionality is insufficient because too little is saved in the templates.

A good news is that in upcoming MagicPlot 1.5 more is saved to the Template. All you suggested except the additional drawings/labels are saved. Maybe I have time to add saving of drawings/labels in this version too. The new screenshot is in attachment.
I also sometimes thinking about 'Apply Template...' menu item in Project Tree but it's not yet done.

I think it is not necessary to ask the user what components of the template have to be saved or imported. It is better to have everything, later some parts can be edited.

The all supported properties are saved always when you save template. And you can select what to recall when you apply template.

There is the second way to clone your styles: you can select multiple objects (Tables, Fit Plots, Figures) and select 'Create a Copy' item in context menu. Then only paste new data in the source table.

P.S. Batch processing (without scripting!) coming in summer I suppose.

Attachment: templates15_4474.png
919 downloads   -   Size: 49.75 KB

Logged Offline
Site Reply: 19 - 70
Dmitry Garanin
May 21, 2011, 12:14am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
I would appreciate adding "Import data into existing table". For instance, you already have a project with data tables and plots and you only need to replace data with more accurate ones. At the moment I do not see how to do it easily.
Logged Offline
Reply: 20 - 70
MagicPlot
May 21, 2011, 10:36am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
I would appreciate adding "Import data into existing table".

Yes, I agree. Now it can be done with pasting into table only.

Logged Offline
Site Reply: 21 - 70
Dmitry Garanin
May 22, 2011, 5:31pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Yes, pasting of new data from WordPad to Magicplot's data table works well, thank you!

But I would consider adding a "reload" button for data tables, with optional recalculating of calculated columns and maybe even optional automatic importing of new data from the file. The latter would be very cool and allowed to monitor the results of running calculations.
Logged Offline
Reply: 22 - 70
MagicPlot
May 22, 2011, 5:38pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
But I would consider adding a "reload" button for data tables, with optional recalculating of calculated columns and maybe even optional automatic importing of new data from the file. The latter would be very cool and allowed to monitor the results of running calculations.

And automatic tables reloading with some period is also already planned, yes

Logged Offline
Site Reply: 23 - 70
ccharbo
December 2, 2011, 10:08am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Hi,

Thanks for the good work! MagicPlot is a great piece of software.
The only feature missing for me is the ability to display the *data* content on the X Axis when <Index> is used (as it is currently showing only the index-count).

For instance, when I have samples taken in a regular time basis and the date is used on my first column, it would be great to have the date/time displayed on the X Axis.

In fact, having MagicPlot to fully "understand" the date/time would be even greater as it would be possible to have a true X-Y chart.

BR
Christophe
E-mail Reply: 24 - 70
MagicPlot
December 2, 2011, 10:34am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Hi, Christophe,
Thank you for the message!

I think after Bath Processing (which is already implemented) the working with data is one of the most needed features for the users. We will work on this.
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 25 - 70
mamamia
January 15, 2012, 11:33pm Report to Moderator

Baby Member
when are you going to update to new features?
Logged Offline
Reply: 26 - 70
MagicPlot
January 16, 2012, 6:03am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Hello mamamia,

Are you talking about something specific?
The next release is planned on this spring. Now I cannot say exactly which new features will be done for that time.
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 27 - 70
flogger123
January 30, 2012, 4:00pm Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Great! Will registered users be notified? Thanks.
Logged Offline
Reply: 28 - 70
MagicPlot
January 30, 2012, 4:12pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Quoted from flogger123
Will registered users be notified?

Yes, I can send e-mails to all forum members.
Logged Offline
Site Reply: 29 - 70
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread